Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
 UK and World News  Spam Audit  Ignore List 

Help, please circulate.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
foppe37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: colonial terror Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the most interesting news was that Iraqi 'terrorists' had captured one or two Arab Israeli's, one with a USA driving licence.
Rumors have been circulating that the Mossad had sent people to liquidate opponents, in Iraq.

But public opinion does act, on violence.
A yesterday Dutch poll shows that the Dutch want our troops recalled.
Anyone knows about the Spanish voting.
Japanese public opinion is rather clear, obviously the Japanese do not comprehend that Japan must support the USA, if only for safeguarding the value of Japanese dollar investements.

The relatives of the 911 victims, after Dr Rice made her statements, had three kinds of comments:
- it is her job how to find out how to protect the USA
- they had learned more from the questions than from the answers
- if it had not been for continued pressure of the relatives there would not have been an investigation, nevertheless documents still are withheld.

Maybe El Quaida's hope that Bush will be re- elected will not be realised.

Dutch experts are very concerned about the outcome; one interesting statement was that actually only 20.000 Americans can fight in Iraq.
The USA has just some 150.000 people in Iraq, about half of them are support personnel, and they now must fight 24 hours a day.
So, according to this expert, just some 20.000 at any moment can fight.

This explains the excessive force the USA uses, this force of course created the cooperation between Shi'ites and Sunnites that the USA expected never to happen.

The Dutch experts, of the Dutch Clingendael institute (a NATO propaganda organisation, in my opinion), also said they had warned general Franks about all this a year ago, but he had said that thing would not be that bad.

At the same time, right now, an Afghan warlord is extending his territory, and Afghan sympathy for the Taliban increases.

The article is on the BBCW website.
Anybody who thinks that the USA is busy with bringing freedom, prosperity and democracy, is as stupid as those who think that Jews, during their three or so thousand years of history, always ran into disasters just because they were Jews.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Militarily, this has all been a huge experiment - with American troops as the unwitting hamsters.

The Brits sued in advance for an easier role in the Shi'ite south, playing Good Cop to America's Bad Cop. That's all about to change.

Some of the feedback I've been getting suggests that British troops are going to be slaughtered like pigs in an abbatoir.

My advice was: "Go for the officer class, but leave the squaddies alone."

There's also plenty of scope for a mutiny. It's building; it may happen.
ktholcombe
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iraq Solidarity Action – Resist the Massacre in Falluga

Urgent information and appeal from Ewa Jasiewicz, who worked with Voices in the Wilderness and Occupation Watch in Iraq, lived there for 8 months (Basra and Baghdad) and in Palestine, mainly Jenin camp for 6 months, speaks Arabic, and who got back from Iraq 2 months ago. She is in regular contact with her friends in Basra and Baghdad.

I just spoke to friends in Baghdad - Paola Gaspiroli, Italian, from Occupation watch and Bridges to Baghdad, Journalist Leigh Gordon, England, (NUJ, Tribune, Mail on Sunday) and a Palestinian friend with family in Falluja and friends in the Iraqi Islamic Party. Both he and Leigh have been ferrying out the injured from Falluja to Baghdad for the past three days. Ambulances have been barred from entry into the blood-drenched city.

Here is their news, which they told me over the telephone tonight (Friday)

Paola:

There has been a massacre in Falluga. Falluga is under siege. 470 people have been killed, and 1700 injured. There has been no ceasefire. They (Americans) told people to leave, said they have 8 hours to leave and people began to leave but they’re trapped in the Desert. The Americans have been bombing with B52s (Confirmed also by Leigh in an email three days ago). Bridges to Baghdad are pulling out. We have flights booked out of Amman. Tomorow a team will go to Sadr City to deliver medicines. 50 people have been killed there. ?? (Forgotten name) the 'elastic' shiekh in Sadr City (I’ve met him, young, brilliant guy, describes himself as 'elastic' because he is so flexible when it comes to his interpretations of Islam and moral conduct definitions etc, he's pretty liberal) he has told me I should leave. He says that even he can't control his people. Foreigners are going to be targeted. 6 new foreigners have been taken hostage. Four of them are Italian security firm employees - they were
kidnapped from their car, which was found to be full of weapons, and there were black uniforms. Baghdad was quiet today except for Abu Ghraib (West Baghdad, where a vast prison is located and is bursting at the seams with 12,000 prisoners) an American convoy was attacked there and 9 soldiers were injured and 27 were kidnapped. That’s right 27. None of the newswires are reporting it though. And I heard this from (*name best not to supply without permission). Its really really bad. They (Americans) have been firing on Ambulances, snipers are following the ambulances, they cannot get in.

Falluga, there are people in the Desert, they've left Falluga but they're not being allowed into Baghdad, they're trapped in the Dessert, they're like refugees, its terrible but the people, Iraqi people are giving all they can; they’re bringing supplies, everybody is giving all their help and support to Falluga.

I want to stay but I have to go, if I want to come back and be useful, you know I think its best to leave, Bridges to Baghdad has decided this. It’s getting really dangerous for Italians. We feel like we’re being targeted now. (Italy has a 2500+ force including Carabinieri occupying Nassiriyah which has been subject to a number of resistance attacks including the devastating attack on the Police station which claimed the lives of 4 soldiers, one civilian, one documentary film maker, 12 Carabinieri police and 8 Iraqis).

(…) and Leigh have been great. They’ve been driving into Falluga and bringing out people, going back and forth. They know what’s going on, really they have been great. They want more people to help them but we couldn’t from here. It’s getting much much worse.

ends

My friend who’s been in Falluga today and for the past few days:

We’ve been seeing it with our own eyes. People were told to leave Falluga and now there are thousands trapped in the Desert. There is a 13 km long convoy of people trying to reach Baghdad. The Americans are firing bombs, everything, everything they have on them. They are firing on Families! They are all children, old men and women in the dessert. Other Iraqi people are trying to help them. In Falluga they (Americans) have been bombing hospitals. Children are being evacuated to Baghdad. There is a child now, a baby, he had 25 members of his family killed, he’s in the hospital and someone needs to be with him, why isn’t anyone there to stay with him, he just lost 25 from his family!??? The Americans are dropping cluster bombs and new mortars, which jump 3-4 metres. They are bombing from the air. There are people lying dead in the streets. They said there’d be a ceasefire and then they flew in, I saw them, and they began to bomb. They are fighting back and they are fighting well in
Falluga. But we are expecting the big attack in 24-48 hours. It will be the main attack. They will be taking the town street by street and searching and attacking. They did this already in a village near-by, I forget the name, but they will be doing this in Falluja. Please get help, get people to protest, get them to go to the Embassies, get them out, get them to do something. There is a massacre. And we need foreigners, the foreigners can do something. We are having a protest, Jo (Jo Wilding www.wildfirejo.org.uk) and the others from her group are coming to the American checkpoint tomorrow. We haven’t slept in 3 or 4 days. We need attention. I have photos, film, we’ve given it to Al jazeera, Al Arabiya but get it out too. Do everything you can. We are going back in tomorrow.

Leigh Gordon:

It’s kicking off. Come by all means but me and (..) probably won’t be around. I mean they’re going to crazy. (…) is saying for foreigners to come but its not safe. Sheikh …. from Falluga said he couldn’t guarantee my safety. I mean its going to go crazy, I think foreigners will start getting killed soon – I mean people are going to start getting desperate, when they’ve seen their mother father, house, cat, dog, everything bombed they’re going to start to attack. They (Americans) have said this operations only going to last 5 days’ it’s drawing to an end. They need to free up troops on other fronts breaking out all over the country. They’re going to go in for the kill. There’s no way of guaranteeing anybody’s safety. I think you can be useful but its not like you can just not tell your mum and think you’ll be back in a week. We’re probably going to get killed tomorrow. Come, but we might not be here.
ktholcombe
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kate Holcombe
Trident Ploughshares.

Jo and Genny Gawain are TP pledgers currently in Iraq and Jo Wilding and Fisheye ( Sam) are friends who have taken a Circus to Iraq. They are all in trouble. Please forward this wherever you can.

Below is an e-mail from Jo Wilding who has been traveling around Iraq with Boomchucka Circus for the last few months.

As you will be aware from the news the situation throughout Iraq has deteriorated, there has been a massacre in Falluja by the Americans, 470 people have been killed, and 1700 injured. There has been no cease-fire. The Americans have told people to leave Falluja and gave them 8 hours to leave. Now people have left Falluja and are trapped in the Desert being prevented from reaching Baghdad.

Bridges to Baghdad who are an Italian group and have been in Iraq since the time of the sanctions providing humanitarian aid and lately challenging the occupation. But they are now pulling out, things have got to dangerous for them.

In Palestine we internationals have slowly lost our ability to confront the IDF because of the scant support and consternation for what is happening there from the wider peace movement. Now the same is happening to the brave activists in Iraq. They can literally not survive with out our support and outrage.

Here are a few suggestions of what we can do after reading Jo’s report.

Make petrified conditions dance by singing them their own tune. -- "Be the change you wish to see in the world." don’t wait for the pundits to discuses what should be done. Call the local US embassy call your locale MP get on to Downing Street tell them what you think.

======+++=======

Embassy of Japan
101-104 Piccadilly
London W1J 7JT

Phone: 020 7465 6543/6544

Fax: 020 7491 9347

======+++=======

U.S. Embassy, London
24 Grosvenor Square
London, W1A 1AE
United Kingdom

Switchboard: 020 7499-9000 020 7894-0925

The U.S. Consulate General, Edinburgh, Scotland
Further information: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/scotland/

Principal Officer: Cecile Shea

Consulate General
3 Regent Terrace
Scotland, EH7 5BW

Phone:
0131 556-8315

Fax:
0131 557-6023

The American Embassy Welsh Affairs Office, Cardiff
Further information: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/wales/

Welsh Affairs Officer: Greg Gardner

Phone:
029 2078-6633

======+++======

UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH

020 7008 1500
Services for Britons Overseas: 020 7008 0117

10 Downing Street, London, SW1A 2AA
Fax 020 7925 0918

======+++=======
www.wildfirejo.org.uk
www.wildfirejo.blogspot.com
April 8th
A Year Later

I expect everyone knows by now about the kidnapping of
three Japanese civilians and the threat to burn them
alive unless the Japanese government withdraws its
troops from Iraq. Anxious, everyone huddled round the
satellite TV in one of the apartments. The tape from
the kidnappers showed them crouched, blindfolded,
knives to their throats.

“It’s them!”

Nayoko used to bring food for the street kids and wash
their clothes for them, the boys who later stayed in
the shelter in Bab a Sherji and now live in the
Kurdish House. She wasn’t with an NGO at all, just an
individual who raised some money to come over and help
the kids and did it, learnt some Arabic, quietly got
on with it. As a result no one, no embassy, no
organisation, knows anything about her. The Japanese
embassy thought all three of them had just arrived.

And it makes no difference, of course it makes no
difference, that I know them; it makes no difference
to the terror on her face, the young woman who used to
help the street kids on Abu Nawas, the man who was
investigating depleted uranium contamination. It makes
no difference that their faces are familiar, that I
used to see them at the internet on Karrada Dakhil and
wander down the street with them. But it feels
horrible.

Because you know that the Japanese government won’t
accede to the demand and you know that the kidnappers
won’t go back on their ultimatum and you know there’s
not much chance of them escaping and it’s no different
from all the other violent deaths that people have
suffered out here, a lot of them pre-planned in one
way or another, contemplated by the pilot who fired
the missile into the civilian area or the commander
who sent the pilot, but to see them alive and to know
what is coming is almost unbearable.

Karrada on Thursday evening was the usual pile of
traffic, hooting at inanimate objects as if that might
ease the gridlock, the smells of popcorn and petrol
mingling around the weekend shoppers.

Most of the day’s plans were thwarted by closures. The
schools in Sadr city and lots of other bits of town
are closed. Those that are open are mostly empty
because parents are keeping the kids at home where
they can try to keep them safe. The colleges and
universities are deserted, more or less. The Magreb
youth centre was closed because it’s near to Adamiya
where there have been battles.

Instead I went to look for Akael, the man I met in the
hospital last year after the bombing of Palestine
Street outside the Omar Al-Faroukh Mosque. He was 20
then, a piece of shrapnel embedded in his forehead,
the doctors unsure, because the scanning equipment
didn’t work any more, whether it had pierced his
brain. I was kicked out of the country a couple of
days later and never managed to find out what
happened, but I did have their address.

We drove for ages looking for street 9, house 12
which, in theory, had to be close to a mosque. “The
streets are all in a mess,” the lad by the side of the
road explained, not referring to heaps of festering
rubbish that you find on a lot of streets or even to
the craterous holes in the road but to their order.

The streets have numbers rather than names, which
ought to make it easier to find the one you want:
street 9 might be expected to sit somewhere between 8
and 10. But no. “This one is Street 3 and that one is
Street 43.” He gave us an apologetic look. What could
you do when the world around you made no sense?

No one we asked knew where street 9 was. They could
tell us what this one was and the one next to it. This
is fourteen and that one is twenty six, they would
say, with an apologetic gesture. The streets are all
in a mess. Someone suggested we ask the responsible
for the district, the Mukhtar. There’s one in each
area, the senior gentleman of the district, a source
of information and social authority. He came out from
his siesta, pulled up the metal shutter of what looked
like a garage next to his house to reveal a tiny shop
but he, too, was unable to tell us where street nine
was and didn’t know the family.

Since it was the mosque that was closest to the
bombing, we went there and Dhafur went in to ask. Yes,
they knew the attack we meant and the street where the
houses had been damaged. A man who was leaving offered
to lead us there in is car, but the way was blocked by
tanks and armoured personnel carriers, a group of
young men close by. The soldiers waved guns and Dhafur
remarked that there was only one God but also only one
death and with that he reversed up the street and we
decided to find Akael’s family another day.

Raed ran up the stairs breathless. On the streets of
Sadr city, Sadr’s people are telling everyone that if
they get the chance they should kidnap a westerner and
they’ll offer prisoner exchanges for their own people
who have been seized by the americans. After we’d
promised not to go anywhere for a couple of days, his
eyes lit up. “This Boomchucka Bus, I think it is the
best idea I’ve ever heard. The children need this.”

He can sort out the bus for us and a driver, will
equip it with a microphone, music and speakers. “Music
is my job.” He’s been dreaming of the bus tour, what
size of bus we need, where the circus flag will look
best, the sound of all the kids yelling Boomchucka
again. He says he’ll go and spread the word in the
places before the bus arrives that it’s coming and
it’s on their side, so people won’t be nervous or
suspicious. Raed misses the circus.

Then he nipped up to the roof to check on the security
arrangements, pronounced himself satisfied with the
three men with Kalashnikovs on the roof and the three
more outside, shouted Boomchucka and darted next door
to cook some pastry parcels.

We’re constantly reassessing. You ask yourself whether
what you’re doing is worth what appears to be the
level of risk on any given day. If there are a few
days when it looks a bit dodgy then you sit it out in
the apartment and see what happens. If things improve
then you get on with it. If not then you try and work
out a safe way to leave.

The last few months things have been intense at times
but not too dangerous and I think what I and we have
been doing has been worth the risks. If that changes,
if I can’t do the stuff I’m trying to do, if it’s too
dangerous to run the Boomchucka Bus Tour, if the
schools and youth centres and universities don’t
reopen so we can do the twinning and solidarity
projects, then I’ll leave. I’m lucky enough to have
that option.

My good friend Nada has been getting kidnap threats by
telephone for about the last three weeks. They tell
her they will kidnap her and beat her and kill her, or
perhaps her kids, for five million dinars in ransom,
about $3500. They, whoever they are, object to her
being friends with foreigners and she refuses to give
in to them, although it was only today that she told
us and made us promise we wouldn’t give in to them
either.

Al-Sadr is now in control of Najaf, Samawa and Kut, or
parts of them. The good thing about travelling is that
you get to meet loads of interesting people but, on
the down side, then you have to worry about them when
you hear their city is being fought over. I can’t get
hold of any of the people I met in Samawa to find out
if they’re ok.

The Italian NGO Un Ponte Per managed to get a
truckload of relief supplies into Falluja today and a
huge demonstration stormed through the US military
checkpoint that was meant to keep people out of the
city, bringing aid for the people there. They were
Shia and Sunni, chanting their common interest in
fighting the Americans.

A child was brought into the Red Cross hospital in
Baghdad after his parents took him to his grandad in a
safe area. His grandad took him out for a walk and an
F-16 fired a missile into the people, killing 9,
including his grandad. He’s lost both legs and one of
his arms.

The bombers are roaring overhead tonight: even the
moon is on fire, rising enormous and orange beyond
Karrada Kharitj.
Anglo Thug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Call the US Embassy Right Now Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

14:02 Called US Embassy in London (020 7499-9000)
You have to wait for the entire message to play out and then you ring through to a receptionist.

I gave my name and the name of this web site and told the operator I had heard reports of US troops firing on civilians as they fled into the desert around Fallujah, under orders from the US occupation forces to quit the town. The operator suggested I hold whilst she tried to contact a staff member at home - the embassy being closed today.

The operator tried several numbers (she really was quite helpful and friendly - a British lady) and eventually she connected me to a Ms Susan Domowitz at her home.

I gave my name again and repeated my request. Then I asked for a comment. Ms Domowitz claimed she could not comment on reports that she wasn't aware of. She was careful to take my name again though so you'll need to be aware of this if you decide to phone yourself. Anonymity is not an option in this fight anymore.

Ms Domowitz suggested my best course was to phone the US State Dept Public Affairs Office, I was given the number 202 647 1512 and then, would you believe it, the damn handheld phone started beeping to let me know it was about to die. I thanked her and signed off. Next call is to the US and I'll let you know how I get on.

Now please people - pick up the phone will you? Even if ten of us call it shows them that despite the bank holiday, despite the news blackout, people are still getting information and they are concerned enough to act on it. Come on, it'll take you 10 minutes tops and cost you the call to London - local rates for most of us on the weekends. Americans please call the British Embassy and other nationals please call the US Embassy in your respective countries.

Don't just let this pass. I know the story hasn't been verified yet - that's why you should ask for a comment, a confirmation (yeah, right) or a denial. Just talking about this will raise awareness. It may even prompt debate inside the enemy wire - let's encourage the Katharine Guns of this world by letting them know we want to know.

What are you doing still reading this???? MAKE THE CALL!

Thanks.
Anglo Thug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Will you all post details of your calls in this thread as encouragement to others to join the fight?
Anglo Thug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Calling the US State Dept Bureau of Public Affairs Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

15:00 Called US State Dept. Bureau of Public Affairs (001 202 647 1512)

Phone was quickly answered by a receptionist. I stated my name and the name of this web site and asked for the press officer. I was asked to hold. After a short delay I was put through to the Press Duty Office, a Mr Curtis Cooper. I again gave my name and asked, in reference to the supposed cease fire, if reports that Fallujah was under attack and its population had been ordered to quit the town were accurate. I also told Mr Cooper that I'd been informed civilians were being fired upon as they fled. It could bee his general disposition but Mr Cooper seemed very nervous indeed in his response.

First he directed me to a briefing given by Adam Araway (sp) last Friday and suggested I read that for further info. I told him I wasn't interested in the political situation only the humanitarian one and the reports that US troops were firing at unarmed civilians. He told me he was not in a position to comment. I asked if he had heard anything about these allegations or if he had fielded any similar questions today. He stated he had heard nothing other than unreliable reports in some of the Arab media. He went on to say that the State Dept. was not always fully briefed on Pentagon operations and it was the Pentagon that was running the war. I asked him for the number of the Press Office at the Pentagon which he gave (001 703 697 5731) but warned me that they might not be open on a weekend. I'll try anyway.

I can already tell from the responses and tone of voice of the people I'm talking to that I'm not the first person to ask these questions today.
gchq
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Latest News on Fallujah Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Latest News on Fallujah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been on to the American Embassy is Berlin but all the diplomatic staff, including press officers, are on holiday.

The switchboard operator was kind enough to direct my enquiry to the press office message relay system. If I get a response, I'll let you know.
Jefferson Davis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's an election year. Is no one surprised? Success or failure decides Bush's re-election. The casulaties are meking it hard to ignore.
Iraq is going into the crapper, a probable civil war is forth coming, a continuing guerilla war at least.

The US news makes it sound like a few small ("US kicks ass", blah blah blah) skirmishes are on going. The media has ignored this aspect but it's goetting heard to ignore. What I read here and see on hear on the news, it sounds like two different events. Polls say Irad supportd US blah blah blah. This uprising has to be crushed ASAP for Bush's sake. The US wants the UN in there so bad so the US can appear to withdraw. Iran is being mentioned a lot and hoe all these "foreign" agitation.

Has Blair at all said anything?

Fucking neo-cons and internationalists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    War Without End Forum Index -> UK and Europe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: